So I’ve been asked a few times to make a playlist to accompany The Star Host (TSH). And I’ve done that for two other blogs.
What I haven’t done is talk about the songs I listen to while actually writing. Yes, it is a subtle difference.
While writing – I have to listen to songs that are 1) familiar and 2) fairly up beat. If I try to listen to an unfamiliar song, I end up typing the lyrics b/c I’m concentrating on them. (Which is why I could not listen to the Hamilton soundtrack b/c I would get too engrossed). If I try to listen to something a little slower – then my pace matches the song and I don’t get as much done in my word sprints.
THAT SAID – I am now going to share with you my WRITING PLAYLIST as it was when I wrote TSH.
- Hey Soul Sister – Train
- Gone, Gone, Gone – Phillip Phillips
- Good Life – OneRepublic
- Take Me to Church – Hozier
- Heartbeat Song – Kelly Clarkson (this has the cutest video, FYI)
- Centuries – Fall Out Boy
- Immortals – FoB
- Pompeii – Bastille
- Things We Lost in the Fire – Bastille
- Poet – Bastille
- Bad Blood – Bastille (Yes, I went through a heavy Bastille phase)
- Hooked On A Feeling – Blue Suede (Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack)
- Radioactive – Imagine Dragons
- Bleeding Out – Imagine Dragons
- Smoke and Mirrors – Imagine Dragons (yes, another phase)
- I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
- Counting Stars – OneRepublic
- Rabbit Heart – Florence and the Machine
- Blank Space – Taylor Swift
- You Found Me – The Fray
So there you have it! Feel free to drop a comment and criticize my music taste, give me some music recommendations, or talk to me about what you listen to when you’re writing.
Reminder that THE STAR HOST is available everywhere. Have some links: